Sunday, September 30, 2012

When your walls fall down.

There have been so many times in my life when I can't really work through my own feelings.  In the past, I would often climb into a bottle and try to figure it out from there.  That never really worked out for me, but it took me a while to realize that.

Since liquid comfort is no longer a viable option for me, what else IS?

Music.

I am a firm believer that there is a "Seinfeld" quote that applies to almost every situation in life.  But the same holds true for music.  If you search the back of your mind thoroughly enough, you can come up with a song for almost every occasion.  

So here's tonight's song.  It's pretty obscure, but the overall message is positive.  And awesome.  It reminds me that I can't exist in a vacuum.  And I REALLY can't cut myself off from the people I've surrounded myself with; more specifically, the friends who love me and support me unconditionally.  I can build up all the "walls" I want around myself -- but they fall down.  And they SHOULD fall down.  

We often hide ourselves behind walls, whether metaphorical or physical.  But, in order to start fresh, we have to break them down and expose ourselves.

I've come a long way in the past six months, and tonight I really feel like knocking a few of those walls down.  It's okay to be pissed, to be hurt, to be vulnerable.  Rather than surrounding myself with walls, I've surrounded myself with friends; people who I care about, and who care about me.  

I'll shut up now, and leave it to the songwriter.  Click on the song title for the video.


When the walls fall down on your old town
Then, you begin.

See, I had these walls built up so strong
They were built when I was young in wars I've won.
But if I'd have known, stone upon stone
It was so tall I could not see beyond my wall.

But all walls fall down....
And when walls come down on your old town,
You begin.

A bit unassured, I've been insecure
I climbed up to the top,
And I saw the world I lacked.

But my first stone cracked;
The foundation collapsed
I'm standing on the ground in stones

I've found that all walls fall down.
All walls fall down
And when walls come down on your old town
Then, you begin.

I'm the governor of the land, from where I stand.
I'm beneath a shelter built by many hands
But there is a store, and I've locked the door
With the people I once was, I made a war.

But the walls fall down like a stone falls down
My walls fall down, but no man's a stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment